Education and Career
Specialized in international business law with a strong public and criminal law background, Emmanuel Breen focuses in public-private partnerships and anti-corruption compliance in France and internationally. Over the course of 20 years in private practice, he has played a key role in complex and landmark public-private projects, such as public utilities privatization, sectoral legislation drafting, government debt renegotiation, and the design of anti-corruption compliance programs.
Prior to joining Laurent Cohen-Tanugi Avocats in 2011, he was an associate, then counsel in regulatory matters at Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton LLP (Paris and London offices, 1995-2007).
Mr. Breen is an alumnus of the Ecole Normale Supérieure (Rue d’Ulm, 1989-1994) and holds a Masters (DEA) in Criminal Law and Policy from University Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne (1994). He holds a Ph.D. in Public Law.
Mr. Breen has been an Associate Professor at Sorbonne University (Paris and Abu Dhabi campuses) since 2008 and is founder and co-chair of the “compliance officer” diploma at a leading French law school, University Paris II Panthéon-Assas.
In 2018, he lead a 6-month mission at the International Anti-Corruption Academy in Vienna.
- FCPA : La France face au droit américain de la lutte anti-corruption, Lextenso 2017.
- “Programmes de compliance : 10 bonnes pratiques observées en France”, in A. Gaudemet (dir.), La compliance : un monde nouveau ?, éditions Panthéon-Assas, novembre 2016, p. 107.
- Gouverner et punir (PUF, 2003)
- Evaluer la justice (ed., PUF, 2002)
- “Justice négociée – le Deferred prosecution agreement américain”, La Semaine juridique (N°38, 2013, co-authored by Laurent Cohen-Tanugi). For the English version, click here.
- “La « peine de mise en conformité » dans le projet de loi Sapin II : l’habit est beau, mais il a été mis à l’envers!”, la Semaine Juridique, 6 juin 2016. To read the article, click here.
- Induction speech for DU Compliance 2019, Université Panthéon-Assas (transcript in English)
- “French Enforcement: No sanctions in landmark Sapin II action”, FCPA Blog (August 2019).
- Practice Alert: New OFAC Compliance Guidelines collide with EU Blocking Regulation, FCPA Blog (June 2019) with Ann Y. Du.
- “Administrative Sanctions in France” in O. Jansen (ed.), Administrative Sanctions in the European Union (Intersentia, July 2013).
- Corruption and Conflict of Interests: a Comparative Law Approach (coed., 2014, Edward Elgar). Read the introduction to the book here.
« (Over)compliance processes with regard to unilateral and/or extraterritorial sanctions: is there a way out? », COMPLY conference, Sorbonne Law School, 12-13 December 2019 (upcoming)
« EU companies and US embargoes », Panthéon-Assas University, DU Compliance, workshop, 1 July 2019
« Governance, Corruption and Board Quality », Institut d’administration des entreprises (IAE) d’Aix-en-Provence, part of a series of conferences organized by Stephen Davis, associate director of the Harvard Law School Programs on Corporate Governance and Institutional Investors, 12 April 2019.
« Drafting a risk matrix and code of conduct », Panthéon-Assas University, DU Compliance, 15 March and 6 April 2019
« International Business Law », Paris-Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi, 20-31 January 2019
« Extraterritorial application of US criminal law : foreign defendents at the risk of denial of justice », colloquium of the Strasbourg University, Garantir la protection des droits humains dans les interstices de transnationalité. Réflexions en droit pénal, 30 November 2018
« Evaluating the corruption risk and mitigating it through adequate policies and procedures », Master program (MACS) of the International Anti-Corruption Academy, 15-16 October 2018
« Legal framework and anti-corruption strategies for public procurement », Vienna University Executive Academy/ Bundesbeschaffung GmbH (EU-funded Public Procurement Excellence program), 12 October 2018
« Benchmarking corporate compliance », International Anti-Corruption Academy and Austrian Chamber of Commerce, panel moderation, 5 October 2018
« Corporate compliance : old problem, new solutions ? », training session for the foreign trade delegates of the Austrian Chamber of Commerce, 28 August 2018
« Developing the Code of Conduct », Master program (IMACC) of the International Anti-Corruption Academy, 2-4 July 2018
« Corruption in today’s world », training of the International Anti-Corruption Academy for members of the Chinese Anti-Corruption Agency, 21 June 2018
« Premières applications de la loi Sapin 2 », yearly scientific event of the « Compliance officer » diploma of Panthéon-Assas University, panel moderation, 13 June 2018
« Implementing a compliance program : project management methods applied to compliance », Training session of the French Association of Inhouse Lawyers (AFJE), 22 May 2018
« The European way to corporate compliance », UNODC, Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice, special event on A multi-stakeholder approach to integrity in the private sector : the Italian experience, 16 May 2018
« Whistleblower protection and incentivization in the USA », Université Paris Dauphine, conference on Whistleblowers organized by the Masters of European and International Law and the House of Public Affairs, 22 March 2018