Education and Career
Specialized in international business law with a strong public and criminal law background, Emmanuel Breen focuses in public-private partnerships and anti-corruption compliance in France and internationally. Over the course of 20 years in private practice, he has played a key role in complex and landmark public-private projects, such as public utilities privatization, sectoral legislation drafting, government debt renegotiation, and the design of anti-corruption compliance programs.
Prior to joining Laurent Cohen-Tanugi Avocats in 2011, he was an associate, then counsel in regulatory matters at Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton LLP (Paris and London offices, 1995-2007).
Mr. Breen is an alumnus of the Ecole Normale Supérieure (Rue d’Ulm, 1989-1994) and holds a Masters (DEA) in Criminal Law and Policy from University Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne (1994). He holds a Ph.D. in Public Law.
Mr. Breen has been an Associate Professor at Sorbonne University (Paris and Abu Dhabi campuses) since 2008 and is founder and co-chair of the “compliance officer” diploma at a leading French law school, University Paris II Panthéon-Assas.
In 2018, he lead a 6-month mission at the International Anti-Corruption Academy in Vienna.
- FCPA : La France face au droit américain de la lutte anti-corruption, Lextenso 2017.
- “Programmes de compliance : 10 bonnes pratiques observées en France”, in A. Gaudemet (dir.), La compliance : un monde nouveau ?, éditions Panthéon-Assas, novembre 2016, p. 107.
- Gouverner et punir (PUF, 2003)
- Evaluer la justice (ed., PUF, 2002)
- “Justice négociée – le Deferred prosecution agreement américain”, La Semaine juridique (N°38, 2013, co-authored by Laurent Cohen-Tanugi). For the English version, click here.
- “La « peine de mise en conformité » dans le projet de loi Sapin II : l’habit est beau, mais il a été mis à l’envers!”, la Semaine Juridique, 6 juin 2016. To read the article, click here.
- “French Enforcement: No sanctions in landmark Sapin II action”, FCPA Blog (August 2019).
- Practice Alert: New OFAC Compliance Guidelines collide with EU Blocking Regulation, FCPA Blog (June 2019) with Ann Y. Du.
- “Administrative Sanctions in France” in O. Jansen (ed.), Administrative Sanctions in the European Union (Intersentia, July 2013).
- Corruption and Conflict of Interests: a Comparative Law Approach (coed., 2014, Edward Elgar). Read the introduction to the book here.