An international business lawyer with a strong administrative and criminal law background, Emmanuel Breen specializes in public-private partnerships and anti-corruption compliance, in France and internationally. Over the course of almost 20 years of private practice, he has played a key role in complex and landmark public-private projects, such as public utilities privatization, sectoral legislation drafting, local government “toxic” debt renegotiation, and the design of anti-corruption compliance programs.
Prior to joining Laurent Cohen-Tanugi Avocats in 2011, he was an associate, then Counsel on public law matters at Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton LLP (Paris and London offices, 1995-2007). He has been an Associate Professor at the University of Paris-Sorbonne since 2008 and at Sciences-Po Paris since 2011.
Emmanuel Breen is an alumnus of the Ecole Normale Supérieure (Rue d’Ulm, 1989-1994) and holds a Masters (DEA) in Criminal Law and Policy from the University of Paris (Université Panthéon Sorbonne – Paris I, 1994). He received a Ph.D. in Public Law from the University of Paris South in 2000.
Emmanuel Breen is a member of the French-American Bar Association and Chairman of Amicale des normaliens juristes, an association of legal graduates of the Ecole Normale Supérieure. He is also a member of the Ethics Committee of the French Directors’ institute.
- “Programmes de compliance : 10 bonnes pratiques observées en France”, in A. Gaudemet (dir.), La compliance : un monde nouveau ? , éditions Panthéon-Assas, novembre 2016, p. 107.
- Gouverner et punir (PUF, 2003)
- Evaluer la justice (ed., PUF, 2002)
- “Justice négociée – le Deferred prosecution agreement américain”, La Semaine juridique (N°38, 2013, co-authored by Laurent Cohen-Tanugi). For the English version, click here: “Deferred Prosecution Agreements in France”
- “La « peine de mise en conformité » dans le projet de loi Sapin II : l’habit est beau, mais il a été mis à l’envers!”, la Semaine Juridique, 6 juin 2016.
- Pour lire l’article, cliquez ici: “La__peine_de_mise_en_conformité”
- “Administrative Sanctions in France” in O. Jansen (ed.), Administrative Sanctions in the European Union (Intersentia, July 2013)
- Corruption and Conflict of Interests: a Comparative Law Approach (coed., 2014, Edward Elgar). Download the introduction to the book here.